Which is safer, Hospital or Home birth?
This morning, someone told me hospital birth was safer than birth at home.
I thought that was an interesting, yet scientifically unsupported, claim! As I am fully aware of the safety of home birth, I personally only had information on unassisted birth, so I began to look for credible studies with certified midwife assisted birth!
What I had found was incredible!
First, this article listed below shows that home birth is all around, a better option! The ones listed at the end follow in agreement.
Planned home birth with a certified midwife vs. A planned hospital birth with a midwife vs. A planned hospital birth with a physician/OB
The most notable stats of babies born via planned home birth with a midwife in assistance:
- Lowest amount of perinatal deaths
- Lowest mortality rate over all
- Lowest chance of adverse maternal outcomes (postpartum hemorrhage and 3rd & 4th degree tears)
- Lowest rates of infection
- Lowest amount of intervention needed
- Lowest chance of pyrexia (fever)
- Lowest chance of birth trauma for both mom and baby
- Lowest cesarean rate
- Lowest need for resuscitation
- Lowest need for oxygen in their first 24 hours of life
- Highest maternal satisfaction
I mean, it speaks for itself! 🤷🏼♀️
Here are a few other articles/studies 👇
Planned Home Birth: Benefits, Risks, and Opportunities – NCBI
Planned Hospital Birth versus Planned Home Birth – NCBI
New Studies Confirm Safety of Home Birth with Midwives – Midwives Alliance
Dueling Statistics: Is Out-of-Hospital Birth Safe? – NCBI
👆 This last one concludes that a Hospital birth is not safe for low risk pregnancy/birth. No kidding!